As a result of discussions with Insurance Company’s and the Police Force, the Corporation agreed to the forming a Municipal Fire Brigade. A steam engine was purchased, and was drawn by horses hired from the Bristol Tramways. The Insurance Brigades, with the exception of the Imperial, then ceased to function, whereby presenting free of charge some of their engines and ancillary equipment to the City. The Bristol Central Police Station in Bridewell Lane had been in use since 1844, so with the creation of the new Bristol Police Fire Brigade, the building was now taken over as their combined Headquarters.
Chronological historical events